Old Northwest Texas Hospital

Built: 1924
Architect: Guy A. Carlander
Address: 2209 SW 6th Avenue, Amarillo TX 79106
Summary
The original Northwest Texas Hospital opened on March 22, 1924.
While St. Anthony's Hospital opened in 1902, Northwest Texas Hospital was the city’s first public medical facility and second hospital overall.
Designed by renowned architect Guy A. Carlander, the stark brown and white building was built in the Gothic Revival style with pointed turrets on top.
The original hospital was located between West Sixth and Seventh Avenues and held 75 beds.
- In 1940, a 75-bed addition was built on to the hospital as part of FDR's Public Works Administration program.
- In 1952 and 1960 expansions raised the capacity to 275 beds.
- In 1967, Northwest opened the new Psychiatric Pavilion, an acute mental-health facility with 20 beds.
- By 1982, NWTH relocated to the current day facilities on Coulter Street
Following the relocation, the building became “The Canyons,” a low-income retirement community that closed in the 2020s.
The building now holds private apartments.
Historical Marker

Northwest Texas Hospital School of Nursing
Inscription: Prominent Amarillo architect Guy Carlander designed this structure in 1924 as part of a larger hospital complex. The Panhandle oil boom of the 1920s strained municipal and medical facilities and a public teaching hospital was built. The complex included a nurses' dormitory and a ward for tubercular patients. The nursing school closed in 1985. The building is an interpretation of the Prairie School style.
Erected: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1996
Location. 35° 12.653′ N, 101° 51.726′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. It is on SW 6th Avenue east of South Rusk Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2209 SW 6th Avenue, Amarillo TX 79106, United States of America.

